Thursday, January 21, 2016

Passenger by Alexandra Bracken




This was a splurge/risk, and what I mean by that is, I bought it before I read it. And if you know me....I have horrible luck with buying books. It is like grabbing a shirt off the rack without trying it on. I get home and I feel like a twelve year old again because the bust is too large.

I can't tell you how many times I have bought books only to have the writing style be cringe worthy, or there were too many f-words in it for my taste (again, I am so sorry book club. So sorry). Or my favorite (not)....that one book that opened with a sex scene. Yeah -I haven't been able to top that one yet.

But I bought this one, frankly because I have very little patience for my library to get it. Not to mention having to wait behind like thirty holds. So I bought it and I loved it.

It took a while though. Normally I give a book 100 pages. This one had me interested at the beginning but it didn't hook me until around page 140.

But it hooked me like a fish blissfully unaware their death was upon them. And yes this book crushed me towards the end, And then it put a band-aid over my gaping wound and then...... and then......... I was met with the 'Acknowledgements'.  Dun..Dun...Dun

What? No, Where is the rest of it? I need the rest of it. Please?

This is why I rarely read series until they are all available. Because. I. Just. Can't. Deal. With the not knowing.

That being said I will try to get through the painful memories this book inflicted. 

Minor spoilers ahead.

Etta is a prodigy. She plays the violin and on the cusp of her debut, she is snatched through a passage. A passage to another time. Turns out she is a Traveler. A member of one of four families that travel through time, but she never knew.

When she makes it through the passage, after a wee bit of traveling sickness, she meets Nicolas. A "legal" pirate on a ship that is currently sailing in the 1700's. Boom! I'm sold. Pirates are a favorite. Time travel...yes please. The American Revelation......the cherry on top. But no it doesn't stop there.

They are sent on a hunt for an item that travelers have died trying to find. An item that would give the possessor power over the Traveling families. And the kicker.....the beautiful sphere that is this book.....Etta's mother is the one that has hidden it.

Yup, Finally a book I am proud to have owned pre-reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment